You need to be familiar with C# and MediaCenter development and, especially MCML (or be willing to get familiar with them) and you should take some time going through the MediaBrowser code and other plug-ins to get familiar with how they work. MCML takes a little getting used to so you need to spend some time with it before charging off into theme development.
To do that, you need to have all the proper things installed like:
- Microsoft Visual Studio (Express C# will work but you can’t debug so I recommend the real copy)
- Microsoft Windows SDK
- Microsoft Media Center SDK
- Mercurial source control (tortoisehg is probably the easiest)
Once you have that all setup, bring down the source to MediaBrowser and familiarize yourself with how it and the current plug-ins themes work. Right now, there is a small example theme in the source that implements the old “Classic” theme. It can give you some ideas.
When you feel ready to start your theme you need to get the Visual Studio Project Template for MediaBrowser Themes and install it. That can be obtained from the root directory of the source code you brought down. It is called “MediaBrowser Theme.zip”. Just drop that into your templates directory for Visual Studio.
Now, when you go to create a new project, under Visual C#, you will see the option to create a “MediaBrowser Theme”. Select that, give your plug-in theme a name and get going.
Comments in the code that is generated from the template should give you a head start.
- how to found the mediabrowser theme I have •Microsoft Visual Studio pro 8 •Microsoft Media Center SDK djmisterjon over 2 years ago
- Read the 4th paragraph in this article. Have you installed the template? ebr over 2 years ago
- i not shure did you talk about this ? MediaBrowser Theme.vsi If yes, i can not found this source. djmisterjon over 2 years ago
- Did you check out a copy of or create a clone of the MB source code? It is in the root directory… ebr over 2 years ago
- no did you have the full directory name please. djmisterjon over 2 years ago
- show 7 more comments