Please visit our new community...

Question Xbox 360/Media Center Extender/Blu-Ray Question

• Created:about 2 years ago

I am ripping my movies to ISO so I do not lose video/audio quality. I am wanting to use a media center extender (i.e. xbox 360) on other TV’s in the house but everything I’ve read online so far isn’t looking good. It looks like the xbox 360 will not play blu-rays as an extender.

What is everyone else using or how are you viewing blu-ray on other TV’s? I’ve spent a lot of time ripping movies and would hate to feel like I’ve wasted it all.

Thank you for your time.

Sean

2 Answers

votes newest oldest

• Created:9 months ago
  • Modified:9 months ago by tikuf

Spam removed please del this account

• Created:about 2 years ago
  • Modified:about 2 years ago

i don’t think iso’s will work with an extender.
it would be more work, but you could always do this

bluray to mkv – MAKEMKV

full mkv to a more manageable size – Handbrake

codec pack to allow mkv on xbox360 – Shark007

if you’re worried about quality and don’t care about filesize, just rip with makemkv and that’s it. it doesn’t take very long.

• Once you have your MKV file as explained above, I would strongly recommend converting it to an M2TS file – just download tsMuxerGUI from http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR MKV playback on the Xbox can be horrendously bad. When streaming over a network, some files stutter at random points, some stutter at the same point every time they are played. Sometimes, just muxing a new MKV file (extracting each video/audio/subtitle track from the current file and making a new MKV from them) fixes the problem. Sometimes, it makes it no different or worse. Sometimes, just because an MKV file contains at least one subtitle track – even though subtitles are not turned on or being shown can cause odd stuttering for Xbox playback. Every single bizarre problem I’ve hit with MKV files on Xbox was fixed by simply converting all my MKV files to M2TS. In my experience, at least for streaming to Xbox, MKV is a total waste of time. It simply doesn’t work reliably. M2TS has been flawless every time. An M2TS file may be a little larger than an MKV (e.g. 5.4Gb rather than 5Gb), but really, who cares if that little bit of extra disk space used up means your movie plays perfectly – leedavies about 2 years ago
  • great suggestion – dnicks about 2 years ago
  • Thanks dnicks. Yesterday, I discovered it’s not possible to put a FLAC audio track into an M2TS, but MKV does support FLAC. Not a biggie for me, but worth knowing. I always rip audio in DTS format and convert to AC3 afterwards, keeping both audio tracks in the resulting M2TS file. One day, the Xbox might support DTS streaming, and I’ll be ready! – leedavies about 2 years ago