A few days late, but here you have it, time to push Firestorm out the door. Special thanks to ebr and all the testers for giving this release a huge amount of testing.
Media Browser, as is, will remain free. We are still looking for ways to monetize, be it bundling of a plugin, an app store, affiliates or a value added product. But, the plain old Media Browser you are using today is remaining free. I will shortly be adding a donation page if anyone feels like helping out the project with a few dollars.
We need your help
Recently I posted about a bit of free advertising we got. If you are a designer and can design a better ad (targeted at developers) PLEASE post a pic, if you are a developer follow the links.
This release is huge
This release contains a massive amount of bug fixes and completed feature request, I would like to highlight a few:
- Performance: Firestorm is faster, much faster. Startup is faster, navigating around the home screen is faster, threading is much more constrained and we even ship with experimental sqlite support which is really fast.
- Stability: Firestorm is generally more stable, we fixed issues around video playback in windows 7 and quite a few other areas. We also made it much easier to set up security for extenders.
- Extensibility: With the Firestorm release, thanks to ebrs hard work, we now support UI plugins. This means themes can ship as plugins, in fact Vanilla is no longer shipped with the base Media Browser installer, instead you download it from throgs site. This allow UI plugin developers to ship upgrades to their plugins without having to update the core media browser product. We also support extensible “Item Actions” which means a developer can add additional behavior that can be applied to items in the collection. An example is ebrs find similar movies plugin.
A short list of the changes with more than 1 wish
- Fixed external playback.
- Fixed playback for ripped tv episodes in ISO or VOB format.
- New Images By Name supports common sub folders
- Fixed Error message – “We can not maximise the window for some reason! object…”
- Fixed Extensible Config Page doesn’t work
- New Extensible Item Menu
- Fixed Media Browser Hangs in Full Screen when the clock is enabled
- New display media info icon for 4:3 movies
- Fixed View by Year – Years are not in correct order
What you need to know
- In order to speed up the startup process I rewrote the way we handle configuration files, your current config files for MB are no longer valid, after the upgrade it will be backed up and a fresh one will pop up.
- All the plugins you have need to be upgraded, go to the configuration tool and click the upgrade button.
- Vanilla new home is http://www.throgsoft.com/, there are detailed installation instructions there.
- The images by name folder has been split in to something more rational. To migrate your old images use our migration tool. Or just use this as an excuse to update your images by name files http://www.thehtpc.net/archives/1345
A full list of fixed items in firestorm is available here: http://community.mediabrowser.tv/topics?tag=firestorm
As always a copy of the binary is available at: http://code.google.com/p/videobrowser/downloads/list?saved=1&ts=1261603233
Posted by sam on December 23, 2009
Please login to leave a comment