• Created:almost 2 years ago
  • Modified:over 1 year ago
  • Owner:unassigned

Version 1.1 Released

The new version includes:

• Ability to add individual collections as main tile groups on the EHS
  • Custom channels – create channels based on criteria you select
  • Photo library support
  • Background music during photo slideshow (create SlideShow.wpl)
  • Links on the EHS to other areas within Media Center
  • Bug fixes and improvements in selection logic

MBTV has grown way beyond its original vision so I’ve re-branded it as

MBPlus incorporates all the features of the former MBTV plus whole lot more.

Smarter EHS

MBPlus gives you the option to replace your theme’s EHS with a new Metro style one that intelligently presents you with items you are likely to want to see first.

TV Has Never Been Easier

MBPlus keeps track of the TV shows you are currently watching and builds dedicated channels for them – queued up to the next show in the season. Keeping up with or running through your TV series again has never been easier.

For current series that are in-progress or even older ones for which you haven’t gotten all the episodes, MBPlus Series channels will optionally retrieve information on episodes yet to air or that you haven’t added to your collection (dependent on information being available at thetvdb.org).

Additional episodes will appear at the end of the channel showing synopsis and other information so you can see what is yet to come and when it is coming.

Movies You Want to See

MBPlus also watches what you watch and searches your collection for movies you might like to re-discover based on the ones you’ve recently watched.

Since it has MBTV underneath the hood, MBPlus can build channels based on the actors, genres and directors that most appear in your collection. So, finding an evening’s worth of viewing is a snap

MBPlus will even retrieve bio information for the actors and directors for which it builds channels.

Works With Any Theme

MBPlus will work with any installed theme. You can choose to use the customized MBPlus channel views and EPG (from the former MBTV) or you can view all this information in the standard views of the theme of your choice (not all functionality may be available). Detail screens and normal library views will use your selected theme’s views.

Easier RAL

MBPlus puts your recently added/unwatched movies and tv right in the normal flow of the EHS so you can see them at a glance and get to them all easily.

The number of tiles shown is configurable (like almost everything else in MBPlus) and the whole group can be seen in a normal view from your theme as well.

Fully Customizable

You can customize MBPlus to see just what you want. Set the channels you want it to generate. Determine the length of each channel. Tell it which tile groups to show on the EHS and in what order and much more.

Additionally, MBPlus is “skinnable” to better match your other theme views. It comes with three pre-installed skins (Default black, Pearl white and WMC blue) and then has the ability for you to create your own custom skin to make it look just how you want.

Includes All MBTV Functionality

All the features of the former MBTV are included, so if you are used to the EPG interface and want to continue to use it you can.

Watch for MBPlus in the configurator and the MB store soon!

Note: MBTV will be retired as MBPlus will contain all of its functionality. If you are a registered user of MBTV, you will also be registerd for MBPlus automatically.

75 Discussions

1 2 3
votes newest oldest

How will be adding mbtv plus + how much will it cost ?

Thanks

• It will be the same as MBTV. It is replacing it. – ebr almost 2 years ago

Cool thanks you rock bro

• Modified:almost 2 years ago

Ummm… Slightly off topic, but is the director/actor bio something new? or specific to MB+?

Is the data available to all after download?

• question is where will download info will be saved for actors – jacklynee almost 2 years ago
  • It is only a part of MBPlus. There is nowhere in the MBCore for this info to be saved. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • Same thing with upcoming episode information. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • so how will we download the actor bio ? – jacklynee almost 2 years ago
  • You don’t. MBPlus will show it to you in either an Actor or Director channel. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • show 1 more comment

Before registered MBTV folks start asking why they are showing on trial with MBPlus – The admin side of our website still has some issues apparently so I can’t do the necessary things over there to make the registration work. Don’t worry, we’ll get it figured out before the initial two weeks is up.

Sounds awesome ebr! Can’t wait to give it a go!

I tested it and it works fine for me

MBPlus is now available in the configurator and the store. Previously registered MBTV users should show as registered with MBPlus. All others should have a fresh two week trial.

This makes MediaBrowser a great new experience.

Quick question about this statement:– MBPlus will even retrieve bio information for the actors and directors for which it builds channels.

Is there anything in particular in the configurator I have to enable? I have Internet Providers off since all my data is local fetched from MetaBrowser 2. Do I need to enable Internet Providers to get this info? If so will it overwrite my local data?

• No. That functionality ignores the internet provider setting as does the upcoming episode stuff. It should retrieve regardless. However, it slows down the channel build quite a bit so I may make some changes here. – ebr almost 2 years ago

Another question – Should I remove MBTV or do I have both these running?

• By now you’ve probably discovered that MBPlus will remove MBTV for you. – ebr almost 2 years ago

A few questions:

Would it be possible for the clock on the main page to be in 24hr format?

Is it possible to set a time that it rebuilds channels. I have my computer set to wake up at 3am to run MBservice, and this would be an ideal time for it to rebuild the channels

Could someone explain what ‘sort collection order’ means in the configurator? Don’t understand from the pop-up info

Would it be possible for the clock on the main page to be in 24hr format?

I’m using the standard MB clock here and it forces the format. I’m reluctant to try and change it because we used to have all sorts of weird hanging problems in WMC that were related to the display of the clock. This is why the format is forced right now.

Is it possible to set a time that it rebuilds channels. I have my computer set to wake up at 3am to run MBservice, and this would be an ideal time for it to rebuild the channels

Right now, it does it on an elapsed time basis instead of a static time. It shouldn’t take long to build the channels (no more than 30 seconds I hope) and you can force a rebuild with the refresh button at the top of the EHS. I know it is a bit hokey but you could align the schedule to your nightly refresh by not bringing MB up for one day.

Could someone explain what ‘sort collection order’ means in the configurator? Don’t understand from the pop-up info

I need to figure out how best to reorganize both the configure app and the config panel in MB now that I’ve moved to MBPlus.

Many of these options relate to the old MBTV interface (which you can still use but many probably won’t). That particular field on the “General” tab determines where in your EHS (or top level menu) the MBTV folder will appear if you are NOT using the MBPlus EHS. On the Channel Group tab, that field in each channel group determines in what order those groups will appear in both the old EPG interface, and the tile group on the new MBPlus EHS.

• Thanks for the info. Is there a way to increase the number of channels in latest tv? I would like to be able to list all the series that I am currently watching – gillmacca almost 2 years ago
  • Your recently watched series will show in the suggested channels so you could increase the number there. As for Latest TV I think it is currently fixed at 10 series but I should tie it to the RecentItemCount. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • In MCE and in my Subdued time I get a 24 hour clock. In MBplus a 12 hour clock (inlcuding the endtimes). Is that how it is supposed to be ? – egreenie almost 2 years ago

Hope I’m not repeating anyone from the other thread. I’ve been noticing that if something changes inside a vf. A movie/episode added, or deleted, or renamed. The EHS primary image breaks. I end up with the clear frame with the ‘X’ in the corner.

• I’ve noticed this too. As soon as you reset MB it seems fixed. – gcw07 almost 2 years ago
  • Are you both on 2.6.1 beta? This is the age-old problem of deleting the cached image out from under a UI element that was showing it. That will happen if you force a refresh on something. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • yep, im running b2 on my htpc. – Redshirt almost 2 years ago
  • I assume you mean MB version. No, I’m on the official release 2.6. It happens for me not on delete, but on adding a new item and refreshing that new item for the data to show up. – gcw07 almost 2 years ago
  • Like I said, forcing a refresh on something will cause this. Its a problem we’ve dealt with from the beginning. It’s gotten a lot better recently but, now that we have items using images other than the primary, it is rearing its head again. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • show 6 more comments

I’m not sure if it selects random series, or is suppose to show the latest shows added, but I am finding if I add a new show/episode, the ‘Latest TV’ tab doesn’t change. I would have expected it to show that a new episode has been added

• I believe that is what it does, but not until the channel list has been refreshed. So if by default it is set to every 23 hours before it refreshes, it will probably not show up until the next day unless you manually refresh. So you won’t see it right away. Also as far as I can tell it only shows “unwatched” episodes. – gcw07 almost 2 years ago
  • It does only show unwatched but it should update dynamically. However, the Latest TV section will never duplicate anything that is already in the Suggested section. Were the new items in a series that had a channel in the suggested area? – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • Yes, they were in the suggested area – gillmacca almost 2 years ago
  • Okay, then it is working properly. I don’t want to duplicate the suggested channels in the last added section. – ebr almost 2 years ago

Does this dialog make sense to everyone?

The thinking is that the criteria (other than media type, include watched and rating) would be additive as opposed to exclusive.

That is, if you chose three different genres, ten actors and two directors you would get all the items that contain any of those, not only ones that matched them all. It seems like this would more likely produce the results people would want. Seems like making them match them all would end up being way too limiting and easily come up with no results.

Thoughts…?

• Those dialogs make sense to me. A nice method for building custom channels. “Sci Fi and Explosions”. Definitely the Michael Bay channel. – Redshirt almost 2 years ago
  • Looks great to me. Seems simple enough yet will make it pretty powerful. – gcw07 almost 2 years ago
  • Sounds great. – johnchimpo almost 2 years ago
  • Probably not user friendly and more difficult to implement… but could there be an “and”/“or” selectable property on the right of each category? Would cover all options then… – pretter almost 2 years ago
  • Nice looking way to show genre option selection for me. – DigiTM almost 2 years ago
  • show 6 more comments

I am now using MBplus, Subdued and MPC-HC.

When playing a TV episode, the playing episode looses it’s metadata in MBplus. ONly a refresh in the theme get’s it back. A refresh in MBplus doesn’t work.

Otherwise I find it a great addition to the MB experience!

• Please define “its metadata”. You mean the image goes missing or what? A picture maybe? Also, a verbose log when this happens would help. Thanks. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • The title and description disappear. Instead of “## – Title” the filename appears after watching. I have the logfile. How can I provide it to you ? – egreenie almost 2 years ago
  • How strange… upload the file to something like dropbox or pastebin and provide a link here. Thx. – ebr almost 2 years ago
  • That link is broken. Plus it is a secure url… – ebr over 1 year ago
  • OK. Next try: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/753715/MBCore-177201222eeab5e7cdb4cb5a9048207fe84bf27.logegreenie over 1 year ago
  • show 4 more comments

I have custom channels almost fully-functional. Anyone interested in beta testing it…?

• UMMM YES! – Mrwebsmith almost 2 years ago
  • time for my all shawshank all the time channel ;) – Mrwebsmith almost 2 years ago

Only 1 thing I wish Mb plus had. A matching theme.

Okay, I’ve been working on this all day and my brain is pretty fried so, if this completely blows up just go back to the public version.

With that said – here’s a version of MBPlus with custom channels. Please let me know what you find wrong with it. Thanks.

Oops – Sorry, I forgot. This version will require Beta 3a of MB 2.6.1. I’m going to take it down from here and post in beta thread.

Good day,

Well done Ebr!

Small suggestion for organize the sort group, as you see:

alt text

New user will not know how to re-order the sort (yes it mouse hold and move), it will be best and easier if it like the Media Browser Configurator sort order collection.

My best

• I think the drag and drop is more intuitive. Also, I’m using a different technology than the configurator so I don’t have that exact option available to me. I’ll annotate it like I did on the custom channel list. – ebr over 1 year ago

Good day Ebr,

I setup the custom channel:

alt text

When I click on it, it give this:

alt text

I also rebuild within Media Browser, same issue.

Here the media center log:

Exception System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.FastMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] arArgs)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ObjectPath.MethodOperations.Invoke(Object instance, String stPath, Object[] arArgs)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.InvokeMethodService.MethodInvoke(IVirtualPropertyObject vpoHost, ObjectPath ipMethod, ObjectPath ipResult, Object objTransformer, Object objOwner, IList exHandlers)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Invoke.ApplyWorker(Object args)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue, LoopCondition condition)
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.Host.Main(String[] args)

InnerException System.MethodAccessException: MediaBrowser.Library.BaseItemComparer..ctor(MediaBrowser.Library.SortOrder)

at MBTV.MBTVChannel.get_CustomUI()
   at MediaBrowser.Application.OpenFolderPage(FolderModel folder)
   at MediaBrowser.Application.Navigate(Item item)
   at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.BaseItem.SelectAction(Item item)

• Abo – re-download Beta 3. I switched it out to B3a right after you downloaded I think… – ebr over 1 year ago
  • Hi Ebr – I will now, well done. – abobader over 1 year ago

does this start in the middle of movies and shows for a true channel surfing experience?

• No. That use-case just seems completely off to me. If I wanted to miss the beginnings of things I would just watch live TV… – ebr over 1 year ago
  • hey I am not saying it is for everone but pseudo TV in XBMC does it and it is great for me. I love it and I am sure others do too. i think it would be a great feature to add. maybe make it so the user can configure it to happen or not. – Sledge over 1 year ago
  • The interface I’ve developed doesn’t really lend itself to doing that either. If a bunch of people were to request it I could consider if there is any way to accomplish it. – ebr over 1 year ago

Does this fix the issue in 2.6 where MB keeps crashing when stopping via the MCE remote when the latest version of TMT5 is installed?

• Are you in the wrong thread? I don’t think that has anything to do with this plugin… – ebr over 1 year ago
  • It has been stated that MB PLus will superceed MB, the fault that I have stated is present in 2.6 but has not been addressed by the MB team despite me raising it twice in forums. If MB PLus is the way foward I (and I am sure others too) need to know if the bugs has been fixed. – clevoir over 1 year ago
  • Sorry, you mis-read this topic. MBPlus is replacing MBTV not MB entirely. Also, IRC, I believe the issue you reported is that TMT itself is crashing as it attempts to switch refresh rates. If TMT is crashing, I don’t hold out a lot of hope that we can fix it but I know Luke has looked at it. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • Thanks for your response, I think I acted too quickly, reading the topic again I appreciate that MBPLus is only replacing MBTV. Thanks for the response regarding crashing, I would comment that when this happens there is an on screen message that MB has crashed, there is no message from TMT5 – clevoir over 1 year ago

• Created:over 1 year ago

Simply fantastic!!! LOVE it! Thanks!!

I love MBPlus and I think its a great addition and thanks for the hard work. WAF for MB was already high enough that she takes it for granted, which actually is a great compliment ;)

Question: In MB I have a library called Movies and one called TV Series and one called Recorded TV (which is only TV shows, not movies).

In the MBPlus configuration, General tab, there are 2 columns; Movie Collections and TV Collections. My Recorded TV shows up under Movies but I want it under TV Collections instead. How can I make that happen?

Also, Latest TV has some older items and is missing some newer items. In other words some shows I added weeks ago are in there, but it doesn’t have some of the shows I added last night or two days ago. Latest TV is where my wife really hangs out and I’d like to get that fixed for her. Thanks again.

Glenn

n the MBPlus configuration, General tab, there are 2 columns; Movie Collections and TV Collections. My Recorded TV shows up under Movies but I want it under TV Collections instead. How can I make that happen?

What is the structure of the items under “Recorded TV”? Why is that separate from your other TV? MBPlus is looking at the structure of each collection and, if the first thing it finds is not a TV series, it is assumed to be a movie collection. Does MB see the items under your Recorded TV collection as TV items (series, season, episode)?

Also, Latest TV has some older items and is missing some newer items. In other words some shows I added weeks ago are in there, but it doesn’t have some of the shows I added last night or two days ago.

It is possible there is a glitch here, but be sure the series in question are not already in the “Suggested Channels” area. It will not duplicate Series between those two groups.

• Wait – I think I’ve found the problem here. It is excluding more last watched series than you can see in the tile group… – ebr over 1 year ago
  • The Recorded TV has no movies in it but does have some wtv files like Days of Our Lives which show up in MB as movies.The wtvs are not named properly I just don’t know how to make that happen by itself. Recorded TV mostly has properly named TV episodes that we watch and delete. Re: Latest TV: deadliest catch and Hells Kitchen, added this morning won’t show up even after a refresh, but my animated superhero stuff from a week ago (this will kill the WAF) are showing up. Thanks for looking into it. – Catamount over 1 year ago
  • But what is the actual structure within that collection? Are they all organized into proper Series and Season folders? Basically, the first think MBPlus sees in that collection needs to be a TV series. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • None of the shows in question of Recorded TV are in proper folder structure. Some of them have proper name (eg craig.ferguson.2012.05.30.howie.mandel.etc.etc.mkv). They are basically flat temp directories and I’m not going to keep the shows so I don’t structure them. Can I just force them to be read as tv shows? If that’s not do-able I’ll just get over it. The wife doesn’t care about that part cause they’re all my shows, haha. MBPlus properly IDs all my regular shows that sickbeard handles and MBPlus handles all those correctly except for what I mentioned above showing some old stuff instead of new stuff in latest tv. (And they are not in the channels and they are in the proper folder structure) Otherwise it is great. The wife will check it out tonight so we’ll see haha. – – Catamount over 1 year ago
  • Ok regarding the latest shows missing deadliest catch and hells kitchen, I went back and forth between using MBPlus EHS and regular EHS and now back in MBPlus EHS. The missing shows are now in 2 new channels, Last Added TV1 and Last Added TV2 (my 2 server shares for properly formatted TV shows). I’m certain they weren’t there before but they are now, so that part is good. – Catamount over 1 year ago
  • show 2 more comments

Good day Ebr,

We post issue regarding mbplus here or in the beta thread?

I have some issue with custom channel.

My best

• Put it in here please. – ebr over 1 year ago

Good day Ebr,

First a request that can be edit the custom group title:

alt text

Second, as you see the custom for the genre biography and for 2 actors:

alt text

The result not correct:

alt text

My best

• abo: ive not upgraded to this new mbplus version yet, but if i’m understand ebr won’t all your movies match that due to the ANY for director/Studio… as in iron man 2 and harry potter have some director and some studio so they match on those two criteria even if they dont match on the Bio genre.. or am i mistaken? – Mrwebsmith over 1 year ago
  • Hi Smith – The main issue is the actors and the genre, so the result is not correct. – abobader over 1 year ago
  • above ebr says: “That is, if you chose three different genres, ten actors and two directors you would get all the items that contain any of those, not only ones that matched them all”… so my thought is that its letting those films in despite the fact that they dont match the actor or genre… since the entire criteria list is OR’s not AND’s – Mrwebsmith over 1 year ago
  • If you don’t specify anything for one of those options, nothing should match it. Abo, please confirm those two movies don’t have either of those actors defined to them and that they don’t mistakenly have Biography as a genre. If that’s not the case I may need to make a build with some log messages to see where it is going wrong. Thx. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • Hi Ebr – I will post a full details of the issue with images explain why the result is incorrect. – abobader over 1 year ago
  • show 1 more comment

At the risk of this needing a new options tab, i’d like to discuss the ablility for the mb plus Channel Groups to be individually able to be EPG style or theme style..

for me personally the new addition/look on Actor/Director is such that i want the new look (non-EPG).. but I dont like this for Genre or Studio channel groups etcetc…

so what im asking is can a toggle/selector be placed to control this selection for each channel group rather than the single over all control placed here

i guess i can see this being most logically put on the channel groups tab… BUT.. it is quite packed already so i dont know.. but i’d hate for good functionality to drop off due to not fitting a checkbox on the page lol ;)

alt text

• Actually, its even more complex than you thought. That check box doesn’t govern what you are asking for. That option governs whether the whole group will be shown in the full-page EPG or one of your them views. If not using the EPG (that check box is off) then when you select one of the individual channels in that group, I think whether that shows as a channel is going to be governed by the option under “Suggested Channels”. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • hmm..ok.. ill have to break it down more i guess.. i love the actor/director but i dont love this ;) http://www2.worldimportsltd.com/mgs/mbplus2.jpgMrwebsmith over 1 year ago
  • genre channels are ok as is i guess.. they’re not doubling the folder.jpg instead i have a text channel name and just a nice backdrop from the ibn/comedy folder.. – Mrwebsmith over 1 year ago
  • Looks like I need to limit the size of that logo vertically… – ebr over 1 year ago

Web – I might be able to do this:

but I need to confirm I can control it at that level…

• that looks like it would work for me.. to confirm the terminology.. Show as Channels is the horizontal scroller/Metro look? unchecked on that box would be the older EPG style… assuming you can add this in the first place – Mrwebsmith over 1 year ago
  • Yes to what Show as Channel is but no to what it is if you turn it off. If you turn it off, it will show those items in a normal view from your selected theme. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • I think I’ve figured out how to make this work. I will eliminate the check box on the EHS tab and each type of channel will display as selected in the groups tab. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • sweet ok.. ill test it out in the next releases.. time i grabbed the betas anyway – Mrwebsmith over 1 year ago
  • I just upped the new version on the link over in the beta thread. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • show 2 more comments

Good day Ebr,

Regarding the custom channels issue.

As in my last post, the criteria main search to be:

Now as MBPlus result wrong for the following issue:

1 – Iron Man 2: Genre is wrong, but the Actor is correct (Don Cheadle)

alt text

2 – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: Genre is wrong, but the Actor is correct (John Hurt)

alt text

3 – Lawrence of Arabia, Conviction, and Casino Jack: Genre is correct, but the actors is wrong

alt text

alt text

alt text

I was hoping as testing to see the search bring the correct one as:

My best

• Ah, it is working as designed. Go up in this thread where I first put up the custom channel configure screen and read my discussion with pretter. The way this works is that movies will match any of the criteria selected – not all of them. As I stated in that other discussion, I think requiring them all would be way too restrictive and likely end up with very few items in any given channel setup. I may change this but I want some people to use it for a while to see how it goes. I’ll also update the text at the top of the tab to try to explain this. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • Hi Ebr – Sorry to say, this the first time I disagree here with your design … really what the point then? A user give 2 main criteria to have result, it not a “suggestion” issue as I see it with “custom” channels, but I will end it here, since this how you design it. – abobader over 1 year ago
  • Also as always, well done (even if I disagree tho). – abobader over 1 year ago
  • Sorry, please Ebr ignore my comment, I should not said that, I apologize for all this. – abobader over 1 year ago
  • That’s a perfectly valid opinion, Abo. And, if enough others agree, I’ll probably change the design – or make it so you choose. I went this way initially because I thought it would be the best way and I’m trying to keep the interface simple. But, we won’t really know what the best design is until some folks use it a bit. Thanks for the feedback. – ebr over 1 year ago
  • show 9 more comments
1 2 3