Please visit our new community...

Discuss Introducing Media Browser 3

• Created:about 1 year ago

• Limited beta expected early March.

• General release expected sometime in April.

This video is the result of countless hours of hard work by Tikuf and the master architect of the new version is Luke. Throw them both about 100,000 rep points.

Special recognition also goes to Redshirt and Scottisafool for being our first alternate client devs (c'mon the rest of you).

And a very special thanks goes to the rest of our early testers and helpers: Abobader (the best tester on the planet), Xzener, Demonseed, Sinjen, Skynet600 and swhitmore.

• High fives the team! – xzener about 1 year ago
  • Well done Ebr, Luke, and the rest of the MB3 dev team, well done all. – abobader about 1 year ago
  • OH. MY. GOD. can not wait. Well done guys :D – thealienamongus about 1 year ago
  • picking mouth up off floor and wiping up drool. – lurch9366 about 1 year ago
  • Looks great guys, I certainly didn’t see this one coming! I can’t wait to try it out. I’d love to get my hands on a BETA to see what this things made of :) Keep up the good work! – PMac about 1 year ago
  • show 9 more comments

219 Responses

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
votes newest oldest

Well done guys!! Looks amazing!!!

• That goes to all of the team working and testing MB3 – Dakkard about 1 year ago

Holy snapping ducksh*t! All my dreams come true: standalone , android, user profiles, lotsa bling, so many things to play with. (No spaceships, beer, or bacon, but this is waaay better).
All jokes aside, there’s a helluva lot of work here, so thanks to all involved, this is going to be a great ride.

• We actually had spaceships, beer and bacon up until about 30 minutes ago. Our Professionalism Assurance Officer nixed them ;). – ebr about 1 year ago
  • In other words…Redshirt ate it all :( – sinjen about 1 year ago
  • Then flew away. – sinjen about 1 year ago
  • and drank the beer :) – Redshirt about 1 year ago
  • the alt ending may make an appearance – tikuf about 1 year ago
  • show 1 more comment

This looks great. I am all in. Its because of MB that I recently built my first HTPC.

• Just one question, will MB allow us to have shorcuts so everything stays inside MB. – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • What shortcuts?? – xzener about 1 year ago
  • Sorry, I mean browser shortcuts in WMC. If we could always stay in MB that would be great. – all4dom about 1 year ago

It’s a small step for…..

You know what I mean :) Looks realy Amazing whith the BIG A.

• Modified:about 1 year ago

Excellent, can’t wait !!

So, how do I “apply for the beta program” ??

• I’d also like to apply for the beta program. – toricred about 1 year ago

Wow!!!! Cannot wait. I am about to build my new HTPC, what is the recommended O/S? I was thinking about Windows 7, but maybe Windows 8 is an option now.

• The desktop version (the one you’d want) will run on Windows 7 and Windows 8, so it’s really up to you which you go for. – scottisafool about 1 year ago
  • Either one is fine. Keep in mind, there are multiple components now and they can be either on the same or different machines. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • And all this is possible because MB is no longer ties in to wmc….wow….my fear back in the day was MS was going to buy MB and hire you guys and there would be no more MB. – all4dom about 1 year ago

Hope you guys have enjoyed my “Web API” posts in disguise over the last three months. It’s a good thing I had that plugin or I wouldn’t have been able to offer teasers!

This looks amazing. While I’m sure there are going to be a thousand questions about it, my top two are, what are the system requirements and resources used compared to the current version and is there going to be a way to launch it from WMC? Thanks and can’t wait to try it out.

• We’re still working all that out but I think our server and client will consume less than WMC did. And our WMC integration is still to be worked out as well, but just about anything is possible with this architecture. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • Let’s just say that nobody will ever complain about MB3 performance. It doesn’t need much. If your usage pattern will be similar to MB2 with perhaps a couple tablets or mobile devices, than whatever hardware you have now will be more than adequate. If you plan to run the server for a family with a large number of tablets and smart phones, then you may have to look at it’s cpu. – luke about 1 year ago
  • Thanks for the quick responses. Well the next question is, assuming WMC is still running (still need it for everything DVR related), what are the resources going to be like for it and this running? And will the server always be running in the background like the “service” currently does or will it be more “on demand” type. Loads up resources when accessing it, otherwise nothing? Thanks. – gcw07 about 1 year ago
  • You don’t have to run the server at all times but there are benefits to doing so. I can’t imagine there will be any issues running it at the same time with WMC, but rest assured we’ll be testing this scenario. – luke about 1 year ago
  • I don’t think it will be a problem. MB3 is lighter than MB2 and much, much, much, much, much faster. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • show 8 more comments

Codecs are sulking in a corner for they won’t be missed.

• Yea those days are over. – luke about 1 year ago
  • THANK GOD NO MORE CODECS…LOL – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • Amen to that!! VLC kicks codec butt. – xzener about 1 year ago

all my wishes come true, this made my day.

This looks beautiful – and I understand why the team would go this route given recent moves by Microsoft.

But:

1. Will Extenders be supported?
  2. Can it play ‘copy once’ shows?

I suspect the answer to both is no :(

xnappo

• Well… What do you call an extender? You can run MB3 on your tablet, phone, computer… Specifically, the 360? Well, not until we have a true WMC client (which we very well may depending on demand). But there are so many other alternatives as well. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • An extender is something that can play CCI protected material :) – xnappo about 1 year ago
  • Ebr, might be to early to ask, but will MN3 have the ability to have short cuts to other apps. I have always run mb off one pc which was also connected to my tv. I recently built my first HTPC and how I have it setup is short cuts to amazon, mgo, etc. I am trying to keep eveything in one setting and if my wife wants to rent something, she can back out and click on one of those sites. I am hoping to maybe one day even move away from the cable card, but my fear is down the road our monthly internet connection is going to be a ton of money (time warner) if all these companies start acting like the wireless providers. – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • It would not be hard to implement such a thing. Due to the architecture, the answer to almost all of these types of questions will more than likely be yes or, at least, probably. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • Thanks EBR…>Wif e and kids will be very happy…well kids are four so more the wife will be happy…lol – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • show 3 more comments

Just looked at VLC audio specs, and cannot see support for HD audio, eg…DTS HD. Have you adjusted the player to support these formats? I could be blind of course and missed it. Also will there be an auto refresh rate? Sorry so many questions, i feel like a kid at an amusement park again (all excited)

• We will have to implement that ourselves but MB3 will support external players as well with integration for at least MPC-HC and TMT5 in plug-ins. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • Along those lines of the VLC player. With MPC-HC, you can easily set it up to use MadVR, etc. Can we do the same for the built in VLC player? – gcw07 about 1 year ago
  • It is being actively worked on by vlc, so we will have it. If vlc won’t be able to deliver it for a while, there are other ways we can accomplish it. – luke about 1 year ago
  • Looks like you answered my question while I was typing it. Support for MPC-HC is great. – gcw07 about 1 year ago
  • Will MB3 for Android use VLC as well, as it’s still in BETA isn’t it ?? – CBers about 1 year ago
  • show 7 more comments

I’m also excited about all of the popular plugins coming along for the ride! If you look closely in the video you’ll see:

• CoverArt
  • GameBrowser III
  • Trakt
  • MPC-HC / TMT Integration (Now plugins)
  • Trailers
  • Video Backdrops

Throgmorton has also signed on to bring his popular themes and plugins along too!

• Is everyone from the old mb (dev’s) team on board – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • Great to see all the plugins and that Throg will be bringing his themes along. – gcw07 about 1 year ago
  • Our dev team is a “whose who” of Media Browser. The only one sitting on the sideline so far is Soultaker, who has expressed interest, but currently does not have the availability. Someone needs to make a thread to petition him to get on-board, and I think with enough support it should happen. But we also have some new contributors bringing some new wrinkles too. – luke about 1 year ago
  • No love for the Push Notification Service plugin then :P – scottisafool about 1 year ago
  • Has anyone done that yet? – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • show 3 more comments

Hi i was wondering if a client will be available for Linux as i have a raspberry pi, as i am using xbmc as it was a standalone product that was the only reason i moved away from media browser over a year ago. Now that it has finally come as a standalone product i may go back but if there isn’t going to be a Linux client for me to be able to run on the pi i’ll have to stick to xbmc for the time being?

I’m always willing to test anything

thanks in advance

• U can run android and use Reds droid client – tikuf about 1 year ago
  • only problem is that there is now port of android that works correctly – Scalda about 1 year ago

Great job! It will be like waiting for Christmas to come in April.

So glad to see things continuing to move move forward.

With no new development on WMC something had to give. This is coming just in time as I have been playing with the Plex Media Center since the recent additions of Windows 8/RT tablets in the family. Now I can stay loyal to Mediabrowser and all the effort you and the team have put in to the community.

• Their W8 app looks ok, but I wouldn’t want anyone but Scott developing windows store apps for us. I think you will be thrilled. – luke about 1 year ago
  • Cheers :) – scottisafool about 1 year ago

For Androis/iOS/WP playback, I’m assuming that native WiFi will still not be good enough for Wireless playback of HD content, even with 802.11n/802.11ac technology, so will some sort of on-the-fly transcoding, similar to Tversity, be used ??

• i use mb3 on my galaxy nexus to watch video from the office, and that’s just on 3g. And it looks great. – luke about 1 year ago
  • We will transcode in a number of different formats and quality settings. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • Cool. Native MB3, or are you using 3rd-party software ?? – CBers about 1 year ago
  • As Luke pointed out 3g… 4g… Media Browser 3 will be EVERYWHERE!! – xzener about 1 year ago

This looks fantastic guys – well done to all of you! Can’t wait to get my hands on this thing.

A couple of questions – does the server need to run on a Windows PC (it looks that way), or is there any chance of running it on a linux based NAS (like a Qnap)?

And, iOS (iPhones, iPads, iPods) – these are supported via html 5 in a browser, correct?

• Thinking about it, I’m sure the server will need to be on a PC as it’ll need the power to perform transcoding for the mobile devices. – AdrianW about 1 year ago
  • It would be great to have the server side on my unraid box so I dont have to have a PC fired up as well to stream content. :) – 0sm0 about 1 year ago

Great news guys!! Fantastic job, I can’t wait. How do I sign up for testing?

• We’ll have information about that as we get closer to March. – ebr about 1 year ago

And it’ll support PVR?

Because I like WMC+Mediabrowser.. One is the best PVR and the other is the best organizer… And I’d miss PVR or I’d have to use two applications (this is the bigger problem so I don’t use xbmc, because its pvr is very young)

Thanks and congratulations!

(Where I can be a tester???)

• We will have pvr, although I don’t know if it will make it for day one. – luke about 1 year ago
  • If your are looking for an easy way to support pvr/tuners – then look into the remote api from dvblink. http://www.dvblogic.com/download/dvblinkremoteapi.htm. The downside is ofcourse the cost for the dvblink product – hhb97b about 1 year ago

I hope the option for external filters/codecs like in vlc will be there. Things like audio bit streaming and post processing will be still possible.

• oh no there isnt external codec support in vlc nevermind – david3663 about 1 year ago

Just wanted to clarify luke’s statement about my involvement in MB3 and MB2, as I will not be directly porting all of my MB2 themes over.

I will still continue to support all my MB2 themes and plugins, so correction of bugs, feature requests, can still continue. Although I’m not sure if many new features will be added to MB2 core, so there probably won’t be many new features to do. So rest assured all the users who have paid for my plugins will continue to receive support for the foreseeable future.

Now onto MB3…

Supporting as many themes as I did in MB2 will probably not be possible in MB3 due to time constraints an other matters. What I’m looking to do out of the gate (after I learn the new coding language that is) is to create two themes. One will be based on the “Classic” style. So I will take the best views from Vanilla, Harmony, Maelstrom, Centrality, and Kismet and merge them together. The second will be based on the “Modern” style, the best views from Imperium, Ascendancy, Supremacy, Regency, and Destiny.

Now what constitutes the best views may be debatable, I may poll the users at a later date to see which ones they want to see. As I only have knowledge of which are the most used themes based on authentication requests (doesn’t tell me which views you guys like).

I will be merging UpcomingTV and UpcomingMovies into a new app Upcoming Releases (title not confirmed), possibly even adding music albums (yahoo apparently has an API for this).

Please note it may take me a little time to get up to speed on the new coding language so having this all ready by release date may be tough. Also note that licenses won’t be transferable between MB2 and MB3, so new licenses for the themes and plugins will need to be purchased. I’m not sure what reaction this will garner, but those who have used my themes for years know that its well worth the purchase price.

• Throg thats very fair. Your time is limited, but you will not be leaving which is a good thing. When you think about it, we are a big family in the MB community….it it stinks one someone moves on, but understandable. – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • Well Chuffed. Throg, I am happy to pay whatever you feel as my MB config with your themes is pure eye candy and has amazing WAF! – Dakkard about 1 year ago
  • Absolutely happy to pay for new licences for MB3. – theadz about 1 year ago
  • I dont mind, I’ll pay anything for your stuff. :) – Al3x about 1 year ago

Looks great guys but I personally couldn’t move away from WMC without netflix, pvr etc. it’s definitely the right move to have a standalone app.

• We will eventually have enough to entice you. – luke about 1 year ago
  • Hey luke, there is a program out there for amazon prime that someone wrote to work in WMC. I am going to send him an email and ask hime if he is interested in MB and maybe he would contact you guys. – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • that would be fantastic! we want to integrate more with other products. – luke about 1 year ago
  • My wish list…PVR as polished as WMC, netflix, hulu, prime, youtube apps, iOS/android/windows remote that can control every aspect of MB3, something to view my security cameras. A built in App Store that you can browse with the remote, lots of possibilities and look forward to seeing where this goes over the next couple of years. – RonDMC about 1 year ago

A couple of more questions:

Will MB3 be free, or charged for ??

Will we still need 3rd-party fetchers, such as MCM or MetaBrowser, or will MB3 do all of this for us now ??

Will all current paid-for plug-ins/themes work with MB3, or will we have to purchase new ones ??

TIA.

Just want everyone here to know, we are actively seeking more developers to consume our MB3 api. We want iOS, Roku and other platforms. And we want more themes and plugins. So if you might be interested, or know someone that might be, drop us a line.

• Luke, the websire site is garethbarr.com, but I do not see any way on how to contact him. Can you take a look. (this is for amazon prime) in wmc. – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • Hmmmm. I always wanted a reason to stuff my own app into my Roku. Mostly just interested in exploring the platform. My day job really consumes most of my time though, coding .net. But I’d be willing to look into at least. Unless there’s a really bored Roku dev out there. – elmo7 about 1 year ago
  • I took a look at the Roku SDK several months back, and they make it very easy for you get an app up and running with the stock look and feel. I think most of the work would actually be server-side building http handlers to return data in the format they’re expecting. That would probably be easy for you, and then it would be up to me to make sure our video streams work with it. Think about it, it would be a huge hit! – luke about 1 year ago
  • http://www.herofish.com/2012/01/how-to-create-you-own-roku-videoplayer-channel/luke about 1 year ago

MB3 looks great. I have a few questions regarding VLC integration along with no needed codecs as I’ve always used mpc-hc. Are there any type of audio or video files that VLC won’t play? Will something else be needed for bluray disc playback? It’s always been a pain to setup codec packs and configure everything to work with mpc-hc, just wondering if I can finally ditch it and have everything work. One other thing I use in mpc-hc is the ability to assign keys to certain functions which enables me to then assign them to my Harmony One remote, such as subtitles and audio switching. Does VLC have this ability?

• Ok just went to VLC’s website which answered my codec questions. Any answer on assigning keys for integration with remotes? – elshagon about 1 year ago
  • It’s not vlc, it’s us. You’ll really have no idea it’s actually vlc. So yes, we will have control over the wmc remote buttons. – luke about 1 year ago

Will MB3 be free, or charged for ??

The core will remain free. Some plugins will be free others will be premium.

Will all current paid-for plug-ins/themes work with MB3, or will we have to purchase new ones ??

All plug-ins have to be re-developed for MB3. Several already are and more are in the works.

Whether or not your current registration carries over is up to the individual plug-in developer. For instance, if you purchased a full version of CoverArt 3 then that will carry forward.

One additional wrinkle with MB3 will be that, in order to register any premium plug-in, you will first have to become a general MB3 supporter. This is a one-time requirement. Once you are an MB3 supporter, you can then register as many additional premium plug-ins as you wish. Of course, you will still need to pay the plug-in developer but you won’t have to re-support MB3 each time.

Think of it as the plug-in devs are building cars and MB3 is the road. You need a license to drive a car on the road but, once you have one, you can drive as many cars as you want to purchase.

• I should also note that the “core” is much more feature rich than before. For instance, music is supported in the core. – ebr about 1 year ago
  • Also, I’m proud of you guys for it taking 2 hours for that question to come up ; ). – ebr about 1 year ago
  • Thanks ebr. – CBers about 1 year ago
  • I’m happy to buy plugins and themes for MB3. The cost is tiny but the results are plenty. Dev’s need to be paid beer money, they deserve to be thanked in small coin for the effort they put in. – Dakkard about 1 year ago
  • Ebr, am I considered a general supporter already? – all4dom about 1 year ago
  • show 5 more comments

Wow, having showed that to everyone I have already converted to Mb, lots of excitement. Where do I sign up to the beta?

Love it. can’t wait to give it a spin. This is what I have been waiting and hoping for.

I admit I have a few questions (like everyone else), but think I will wait for things to calm down a little before asking.

Great work and many thanks to the MB team, and the people who have and will be in the future. help to develop this further

• And the World is good once again :) – Dakkard about 1 year ago
1 2 3 4 5 ... 8