Please visit our new community...

Sort by Genre - The Right Way

DOWNLOAD

Concept and Design

Well of course these follow the Imagesbyname standard. Download this pack, drag and drop into your imagesbyname folder. There you have it, you have a new set of genre icons when you use Media Browsers Sort by filter. These icons do have a twist to them, by changing the series.xml on some of your TV series, you can then implement a whole other set of icons dedicated to your TV side of Media Browser.

I’m sure you have questions, and we have answers and tools to help you along the way to cleaning up your genre info and using these icons in no time. Now we realize, not everyone has the same tastes as us but these icons were made to give you an example of what you might find in these genre categories. We hope you enjoy them.

Movie Genres

These icons follow the IMDB standard, except for two. Disaster is here for themoviedb, and so is the labeling of Science Fiction for movies. If for some reason you have your movies labeled Sci-Fi, change the folder name in this genre pack from Science Fiction to Sci-Fi and your all set.

Here is the list of movie genres included.

Adult/Erotic Action Adventure Animation Biography Comedy Crime Disaster
Documentary Drama Family Fantasy Film Noir History Horror Music
Musical Mystery Romance Science Fiction Sport Thriller War Western

? ? My Movie Genres Are A Mess, What Now ? ?

Tobias-Tobin to the rescue here folks. Download .NET 4 RC and his tool. In his tool there is instruction manual in PDF form or Word. Get rid of those nasty genres once and for all, rename ones that arent named correctly. He is looking for feedback on this tool in the forums to possibly add TV genre fixing to the tool also. Link will be provided.

Microsoft .NET 4 RC Download Page

Tobias-Tobin Genre Tool Version 1

Feedback & Support on Tobias Genre Tool

TV Genres

These follow the TVDB standards. The problem with that is if use the Sort by Genre filter in Media Browser, your TV shows genres conflict with your movie genre folders inside of the imagesbyname. For example, if you have Comedy TV show, the icon that will be shown will be whatever sits inside imagesbyname\genre\comedy. We have the solution you need to Sort by Genre with TV shows and still have custom icons. Here is our genre list for TV Shows.

Action and Adventure AnimationTV Children ComedyTV DocumentaryTV DramaTV FantasyTV Game Show
Mini-series News Reality Science-Fiction Talk Show WesternTV

TV Genre Renamer Tool

Tempo gets all the praise here, he provided us with an easy tool to implement these replacement genre names into your series.xml. This tool will scan for the genres in your series.xml files, and replace ones that match IMDB movie genres. For example, this tool will change all your Comedy to ComedyTV, allowing you to see our icons without any other tweaking required. We have included a Read Me in the download that explains how to use this tool.

TV Genre Renamer Tool V1 by Tempo

No Longer Accepting Requests – Read Link

• Created:about 4 years ago
  • Modified:over 2 years ago
  • On a little side note. I spent many hours cleaning and removing ANY and EVERY logo, decal, stray righting, and anything else on these disks. With the intention that this will make this set compatible with any type collection, wither it be Blu-ray, DVD, HDVD or what ever you collection type may be. :) Enjoy!DemonSeed about 4 years ago
votes newest oldest

Great effort guys – dedication at its finest :D

GREAT POST… icons to download but also tools and support links.. thanks BAS!

Hi,

Great looking icons :)

I love standards and one thing that was really needed sorting out was genres.

Great initiative!

• thanks for making the TV Genre tool, thats a huge help to opening the door to more TV Genre icons by other artists. – BAS about 4 years ago

Looking great guys, love the video. Me23’s backdrops have a really cool effect with your icons.

• glad you enjoyed it, now isnt high time we have a new set of genre icons by you without the clapper look. ;) – BAS about 4 years ago

• Modified:about 4 years ago

Loving IT!! Thank You All

• Thanks man, it was worth the wait. ;) – BAS about 4 years ago

• Modified:about 4 years ago

WoW… ‘wiping the drool away’ this is incredible. I have always wondered what was the real use of the Indexing views, and now I see you guys have really made that rather dead MB function come back in full swing! :)

Between the three of you that has brought this all together and the crucial guys that made the tools to fix all of our broken (useless) tags.

This is truly Community Corporation at its Finest!

Fantastic work ALL of you!!

• Thank you! – BAS about 4 years ago

They look fantastic well worth the wait :)

• Yep enjoy them, and the new release of Media Browser 2.2.3! – BAS about 4 years ago
  • yeah I just upgraded – thealienamongus about 4 years ago

Hi,

I have upgraded and installed the new genre image packs+fixed all my *.xml Genres.

Whats next? why is the new version of MB is needed?

Thanks, Temp

• Icons for Genre are stretched There was the glitch that has been holding these up. In the meantime we used the delay to incorporate TV icons and backdrop ideas. Other then that, your all set, new version of Media Browser, our icons downloaded and dropped into the imagesbyname folder. Go into your movie collection and select the sort by genre menu option. – BAS about 4 years ago

Just updated all my genres with the two great tools/scripts above BIG THANKS TO TEMPO and TOBIAS-TOBIN for these… quite easy and quick even for 1000 movies and 110 tv series. all that’s missing is the rest of those backdrops from me23!

look is professional and quite slick… WAF will be high! :)

• Glad to hear the tools worked out for you and that your enjoying the new look. The backdrops from ME23 should be getting a nice update this week so keep an eye on that thread. ;) – BAS about 4 years ago

• Modified:almost 4 years ago by BAS

Hi Guys

I was wondering if you would be able to create the following Genre Icon:

Chick Flicks

The reason is that I store my Romance Films as Chick Flick instead. You guys keep creating different backdrops and icons its hard to keep up. Just when I think i've got my media center setup you come up with something else and I have to recreate my media browser. The work you guys do is amazing.

Thanks GeoWill76

• Geo we may consider it. If you could please follow the rules for requests. See the bottom of the post for requests rules. Thank you – DemonSeed about 4 years ago
  • Still waiting to hear back from you on what 4 movies you would like us to use on this. You have a thumbs up from me. – BAS about 4 years ago
  • Sorry for the delay. Probably Pretty Woman, My Sisters Keeper, When Harry Met Sally and The Notebook. Thanks. – geowill76 about 4 years ago

• Modified:almost 4 years ago by BAS

HI Guys

Have another little request. I was wondering if you could do the following TV Genre Icons as below:

True Metadata Genre Name = Action and Adventure TV

True Metadata Genre Name = Crime TV

True Metadata Genre Name = Horror TV

Thanks

• Created:almost 4 years ago

thanks for these – i dont use this sort by function often – but nice to have these icons when i do.

i ran the tools and have sorted out my meta data – and it all works great – thanks!

• Glad you like them. – BAS almost 4 years ago

For some reason I get a white border around the anime genre when displayed. All of the others are perfect.

Its Awesome! :D changed my genre icons now and , woah! It looks awesome, as expected :P

• Created:over 3 years ago

Handy Tools. I was struggling with genre renamer before.

• Created:about 3 years ago

Great work – thanks guys. Taking a step back for those just getting started and may not have a full set of .xml files – which flavor of xml file do you prefer, and which tools or processes do you recommend for grabbing those files?

Thanks again,

- Deck 

• Created:over 2 years ago
  • Modified:over 2 years ago

Great icons.

I don’t know if you are still making these icons (I am no good at making them)or if some kind soul can create them, but any chance of an adult & a classic genre?

• Adult is included in the above package. – vileboy over 2 years ago
  • Sorry, must have missed it – gillmacca over 2 years ago