Please visit our new community...

Discuss The things I'd like to see the most in Hydra...

• Created:about 3 years ago
  • Modified:about 3 years ago
  • Related:#769

First of all I'd like to say I'm sorry, because I realize that ebr is largely working by himself to provide the awesome features of MB core. So please don’t take this as an attack. I'm a tried and true MB fan. But without further delay… The list.

1. Resolve all image persistence issues. In my trying to be humble opinion, this is the only show stopper with MB. I recently installed and tried xbmc at the request of another CT member. It doesn’t suffer from the same persistence issues. once you select art, it stays… and navigating around doesn’t cause art to vanish. But let’s not digress, there is plenty about xbmc that will keep me with MB. That’s not what this is about. It’s about the fact that EHS backdrops will vanish on me, and sometimes I can enter MB and all my posters vanish as I navigate. Then return to fully working order if I exit then re-enter the program.

2. Actor Details. This has been requested several times. I realize that the amount of detail on themoviedb.org isn’t as consistent as we would like. But I think we can still have a defined actor page that still includes related movies, even if the bio is left blank I think this can still have an attractive layout. MB has matured well past just showing a list of movies with no real context.

3. Beef up the plugin info generator. I feel horrible for bringing this up, but ebr explained to me that in order for a plugin of mine to be on the default plugin repo, I can’t have references to embedded dll’s. I must instead use a technique known as reflection. This is a lot of overhead, and seriously… I shouldn’t have to reflect into dll’s that I'm including with my project. I'm actually stunned that with the level of talent we have in our developer pool, that my plugin is the first to actually use third-party managed dll’s in this fashion. A great workaround has been suggested. Thanks ebr.

Don’t hate me…

Red.

5 Responses

votes newest oldest

One look at your rep shows you're not here to attack anyone and that you truly love MB. I agree whole heartedly with 1 and 2…and 3 I know absolutely nothing about:)

• thanks d – Redshirt about 3 years ago

I'm not sure there is much we can do about #3 as there is pretty much no way for the info generator to know about dlls you are self-extracting at run time.

However, there may be another solution. You could use ILMerge to embed your referenced dlls instead and, I think, the generator would then work as it would be able to load the assembly.

• You are king ebr. This technique did indeed work. – Redshirt about 3 years ago
  • Awesome. Should have suggested that in the first place… – ebr about 3 years ago

+1 for your #1 there Red. That issue alone drives me bonkers on my own setups. But obviously the issue isn’t trivial or ebr would have squashed it long ago. Still, it’s a right pain for your images to not display. For us local metadata users it’s even worse because we painstakingly collect all those images just to have them not display :(

-Sinjen

• YES, me too! Admitted OCD local meta data gatherer. – FlyGuyAZ about 3 years ago

I agree that #1 must not be trivial. It seems that the problem is becoming more prevalent. But then my library is getting bigger too…

Number 3 ill have to work with, ebr’s suggestion is good.

But what about number 2 ;–)

Digging #2. I'd also like to see someone take a crack at handling movie extras/bonus content/etc. It’s probably one of the most requested features yet to be implemented.

• actually, subtitle switching is the most voted for and most viewed feature request. – chadd about 3 years ago
  • The musicplugin is also higher on my agenda than No.2 – karlos65 about 3 years ago
  • Due respect to Redshirt though, especially for raising the 1st issue which has become more prevelant as MB has progressed. – karlos65 about 3 years ago