Please visit our new community...

Bug Strange Watched Behavior in 2.2.3 / Everything marked as watched

no supporters

I recently upgraded from version 2.2.2 to 2.2.3, and after the update I noticed that the watched check-marks started behaving strangely and incorrectly. My settings are all default. I verified this on both the default theme and the chocolate theme. I also cleared my cache, and the behavior persisted.

When I load a view of individual items, all of the items have the watched check-mark, even the ones that aren’t watched. If I go to an item and hit the button on my remote to toggle watched, it will become correct: if it was already watched, it will clear the check-mark, if it was not, the check-mark stays. It’s only when I load up the view initially (by going to a movies folder or into a particular season of a series) that it shows up incorrectly. Additionally, when I load a view of folders, let’s say a list of seasons for a series, folders with everything in them watched show fine. But folders with unwatched items show both the check-mark and a count of unwatched items, with both icons overlaid on top of each other.

Any idea what is going on?

votes newest oldest

• Created:about 4 years ago
  • Modified:about 4 years ago

I am using the sql lite and their is another discussion at MB isn’t remembering my watched status or view options anymor… and it says that removing the sqllite fixes the problem.

Yes, I really think sql lite IS the problem. Before I turned it into “False” in the MediaBrowserXml.config file, I also had issues with TV shows “mixing themselves” in different MediaBrowser folders (i.e. the 3rd episode of ‘Californication’ was displayed 5 times in the ‘Bored to Death’ MB folder, whereas other episodes were not recognized anymore…)

But since I disabled sql lite, everything seems to work just fine : watched indicators and TV shows display.

• I've never used SQL Lite and the problem remains. – brazen1 about 4 years ago
  • yes, i did the same, delete cache and stop sqlite and all is fine. – blindguy about 4 years ago

Actually I'm seeing the same issue, using the Diamond theme.

This happens when I enter a folder episodes of, say, a TV show: all have the “watched” indicator. If I do “Set watched” on the first item (the menu says “Set watched”, and not “Set unwatched”), then, browsing to the other ones will clear this false “watched” indicator. But if I go out of the folder and back in, all the indicators are set back.

What’s weird is that the plugin knows which is unwatched, since when “Default To First Unwatched Item” is ticked, it’s really going to the first unwatched item. But this item still has the “watched” indicator set.

• If this is also in Diamond, then ST may have to make a fix there, but that won’t depend on a release. – ebr about 4 years ago

We will probably do another point release just for this.

• Modified:almost 4 years ago by DemonSeed

Yes, am also seeing this exact same behavior since upgrading to 2.2.3 today.

All my media is now showing as watched (well supposedly) – there is a tick on the poster, but there is also the unwatched glowing star…

below is what it looks like in my Genre’s view — tick, glow and unwatched count all layered on top of each other.

alt text

Very bizarre!

• I'm seeing this too – Poster view in Chocolate. Doesn’t seem to be a problem with the over views… – Riccardo about 4 years ago

I'm in the same case. Mediabrowser 2.2.3.0 running under Windows 7 32bits Home premium.

• Created:almost 4 years ago

While I love Media Browser since upgrading to 2.2.3 I seem to be experiencing the same problem and its driving me nuts. I have uninstalled and re-installed it several times, checked that Sql Lite is deactivated all to no avail.

As there appears no support or a bug fix for this issue I would really like to downgrade, so my question is this where can I download version 2.2.2?

• Modified:almost 4 years ago

Download older versions of MB HERE

Please try out this version and see if it fixes your problem without creating more. If several people can verify that this is okay, I can see about releasing it as an official patch release.

• if the version info of the installer wasn’t the same as the current 2.2.3 it would allow for an upgrade. now you have to specifically uninstall the current version and then reinstall – birkoff almost 4 years ago

• Modified:almost 4 years ago by birkoff

OK. Uninstalled old version 223. Deleted program data folder. Installed your fixed version. Added my old IBN folder. Pointed to my movie collections in configurator. Cleared all 4 cache options. Opened MCE and ticked a few folders as watched. ALL were present. Closed MCE. Reopened MCE to verify if watched status indicators were fixed. Upon 1st screen, my collection is missing. There is 1 folder with a thumbnail and nothing else. (It’s pointing to one folder and one folder only) Opened MB config. Verified it was still pointing to my collection. It was. Removed media anyway and again pointed to locations. Cleared all 4 cache options again. Opened MCE. Same folder on entry screen and only that one. There should be 550 other titles, but there isn’t. I also left the program opened to rebuild the cache, but it did nothing. Here’s the log:

10:09:06.279 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Using String Data from C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Localization\strings-en.xml ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.313 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Successfully loaded fastload data for : C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Cache\playstate MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.PlaybackStatus ,  , 11 , Worker thread for Fast Load Loader
10:09:06.474 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , CoverArt (version 1.1.4.0) Plug-in Loaded. ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.478 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , FilmsLikeThis Plug-in (Version 1.0.1.0) Loaded. ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.480 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , High Quality Thumbnails (version 1.0.4.0) Loaded. ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.522 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Parental Control Initialized ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.526 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Watching folder C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Podcasts for changes. ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.526 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Watching folder C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\StartupFolder for changes. ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.608 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Finished validating : C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Cache\playstate MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.PlaybackStatus ,  , 11 , Worker thread for Fast Load Loader
10:09:06.662 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Information DisplayText: Welcome to Media Browser. ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:06.709 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Loading display prefs for C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\StartupFolder ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:07.297 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Loading display prefs for C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\StartupFolder ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:07.387 AM 21/4/2010 , Verbose , Loading image : C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImageCache\zc22ecb37-456a-1d0c-856b-fe2061158419.739x414.png ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:07.400 AM 21/4/2010 , Verbose , Loading image : C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImageCache\c22ecb37-456a-1d0c-856b-fe2061158419.200x112.png ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:07.400 AM 21/4/2010 , Verbose , Loading image : C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImageCache\c22ecb37-456a-1d0c-856b-fe2061158419.200x112.png ,  , 1 , Application
10:09:10.665 AM 21/4/2010 , Info , Information DisplayText: Welcome to Media Browser. ,  , 1 , Application

• Bring MB up and let it sit for a few minutes. Then back out and go back in and then let it sit a few minutes again. DON’T clear the cache again. I think you are just dealing with what happens when you go in with a brand new setup and no cache and you cleared the cache between each re-start so it never got a chance to build it. – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • It’s been sitting over an hour. Nothing has happened. – brazen1 almost 4 years ago
  • Has nothing at all dropped in? – karlos65 almost 4 years ago
  • No, nothing. I have my movies folder with my podcast folder next to it. Podcasts works fine. My movie folder has a thumb I did not put there. Clicking into the movie folder has the play button, etc. but none of them does anything. It’s as if it’s skipped the entire 1st tier, except for one thing….. The podcast folder is there and opens into the 2nd and 3rd tiers. Fwiw, using 7 x64. – brazen1 almost 4 years ago
  • this must be a different issue related to movie playlists. are you sure there are no rogue media files in the folder location and that the folder location is correct? – birkoff almost 4 years ago
  • show 1 more comment

Coming out of comments because it is getting too long to discuss there…

Brazen – you are saying this all works fine in 2.2.3 but not in the patch version I posted?

It does sound exactly like the common issue of either too few movies (which doesn’t appear to be your case) or a situation where you have only one or two movies of one type mixed in with a bunch of a different type (like one avi in with a bunch of dvd rips). Or, finally, a video file in your main folder.

Have you added anything new recently?

Have you turned off the “Treat multiple files as single movie” option?

• I wish it was that simple. 2.2.3 worked. It just didn’t retain the watched folder settings. I uninstalled and tried your download. 1st time it opened all looked great! When I reopened, the probs began. My collection has not changed, nothing’s mixed up, and I haven’t added anything. I did notice the ‘play’ button plays and it is one of my movie collection titles. But again, it’s not named, postered, backdropped, metadata'd, trailered, etc. although all those exist in that folder. It’s skipping the 1st initial tier. I will try uninstalling and reverting to original later and report back. Fwiw, bypassing MB and going into MCE’s generic ‘Movies’ folder reveals all my collection, so I assume it didn’t break MCE. – brazen1 almost 4 years ago
  • I just went ahead and uninstalled, reinstalled old version of 2.2.3, and all is well. I wish I had more to offer you guys because I really want to see the watched indicator get fixed. – brazen1 almost 4 years ago
  • Okay, so there is something special about your setup that is causing something that changed to break…Do you have any recorded TV in there (.wtv files)? – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • I don’t think there’s anything special about my setup and I have no .wtv’s. Here’s a few specs that may help to isolate: Core i7/Asus 12GB Patriot 1600 RAM 64GB SSD Patriot C: 7TB HD’s (1) 2TB 7200 SATA has 1 folder storing many movie folders, each containing it’s own metadata. Same with another drive. MB is pointed to these 2 drives. One drive has a folder titled ‘DVD’ within the main MOVIE folder and that folder has subfolders containing a few Video TS folders. Windows 7 64bit Shark Codecs MCM for data placed in each movie folder. Media Control for quick audio stream and subtitle choices. I use Cover Art, Films Like This, Media Info Provider, and High Quality Thumbs for plugins. I am fairly certain my IBN folder is proper. I only use the default theme because imo, it’s the best one offered. I understand many prefer other themes and support/wishes for the default take a back seat at times. I did not test on any other theme(s). Please don’t hesitate to ask any other specific details or installation modifications I may try in attempting to resolve my isolated problem. My goal is to help the community work out bugs and refine this software to perfection and I take a keen interest in it even with my limited abilities. I think I speak for many when I write, THANK YOU for the dedication to all involved here. This is a great forum. – brazen1 almost 4 years ago
  • Do you have auto enter single item folders turned on? Are you using a direct entry point? I'm stumped… – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • show 1 more comment

ebr wrote: Please try out this version and see if it fixes your problem without creating more. If several people can verify that this is okay, I can see about releasing it as an official patch release.

After uninstalling, but not removing anything in C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser and installed the 2.2.3p version the watched status is working fine here. no more duplicate overlays with watched marker and unwatched count.

I had issues in at least harmony and chocolate and both themes work fine now. no issues like brazen experienced. all media collections behave the same as they did before.

I am having the same problem. I can go in and mark everything as watched but then as soon as I close Media Browser and re-open it, then those episodes are marked as “unwatched ”

any suggestions? I am using the sql lite and their is another discussion at MB isn't remembering my watched status or view options anymor... and it says that removing the sqllite fixes the problem. I will be testing that tomorrow.

• blindguy… I DON’T USE sql lite because I share my playstate and display settings across multiple systems and have this issue. I don’t think that will correct the issue for you. This bug has been recognized and I believe another point release will address this issue. My fix was to uninstall 2.2.3 (Pegasus) and just fall back to 2.2.2.0 (Thunder Blade) until the next release. I have too large of a movie and tv collection with correct watched/unwatched status indicators to risk it being screwed up. – blade005 about 4 years ago
  • yes, i did the same, delete cache and stop sqlite and all is fine. – blindguy about 4 years ago

I uninstalled 2.2.3, emptying cache folders, but not removing anything else from C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser folder. After installation of the 2.2.3p, I have the exact same behavior:

• Diamond: all views OK, except Thumb view: watched checkmark overlays on top of unwatched counters
  • Chocolate: all view OK, except Poster view: watched checkmark overlays on top of unwatched counters
  • Simplicity: all view OK, except Poster view: watched checkmark overlays on top of unwatched counters
  • Vanilla & Maelstrom: not an issue as there is no indicator on the pictures

I have SQL enabled, and enabled all watched marks and counters.

I did not notice before that it was only on some views of each theme. But trying again on the official 2.2.3, I have the exact same thing.

Should we empty the C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser folder when switching to the 2.2.3p, to make sure that we test the correct version? The version number displayed in the config panel is still 2.2.3.0, so not possible to say.

• All of those issues in those themes have to be fixed in those themes. This update will only fix the default theme. – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • OK, I did not understand that. I tested on the default theme, and I also have the exact same behavior. No difference with the patched version. – xliv almost 4 years ago
  • Very strange that it would work for birkoff and me and no for you…I don’t know what to say. – ebr almost 4 years ago

I'm having issues with Harmony. Can the fix just be included in the next release?

• That’s correct. Usually, when a dev says something is fixed, it means it’s fixed in “trunk”. What that means, is that the fix is in place and ready for release at the next designated release date. Currently, the next release is scheduled for May 1st. – sinjen almost 4 years ago

I have similar issues to the overlay of watched and unwatched icons in the thumb view of Diamond.

alt text

But a different issue in the thumbstrip view of Diamond, the icon is not transparent so the unwatched count is not visible.

alt text

When I unselect for no watched or unwatched icons I get the same issue as HERE

• And this only happens with the version I posted? – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • No this happens in the unpatched version, but because it is different to other issues I thought it was worth a mention to help a fix for the next MB version. I am happy to try the fix if you want. – karlos65 almost 4 years ago

I have uninstalled MB and also the MB folder in programdata and restarted. Then I installed 2.2.3p I have added 1 media folder and installed Diamond, problem I have is that there is no config button showing either in Diamond or Default. Looked in the config.xml and it is showing True for show config buttons, any ideas?

• You only added one media folder. Guys – you shouldn’t need to blow away everything to install this. Just uninstall the previous version and then install this. Don’t delete your setups first. – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • I backed up the programdata/mediabrowser folder 1st but still got no config. – karlos65 almost 4 years ago

OK after playing around and re-instating my setup the config has returned. Not sure at what point though. 2.2.3p has fixed the overlaying of both unwatched and watched icons and also the problem of unwatched icons overlaying the numbers, now the icon is black and the number is white.

But the problem reported HERE is still happening. This happens between the welcome to mediabrowser message and refreshing my 1st media in the list i.e My Movies.

• Do you use a direct entry point? – ebr almost 4 years ago
  • No I don’t. – karlos65 almost 4 years ago

I think a lot of this is to do with the rebuilding of the image cache in this new version. When I upgraded to 2.2.3 and I launched Media Browser for the first time, everything showed as watched, but I left it work away for about an hour and by the time I got back everything was back as it should be.

Do you guys find that the same?

Hi,

I have just registered to say I have the same problem with the watched indicators. Since the upgrade to version 2.2.3.0, all the episodes I watch are correctly marked with the proper tick. But if I close Media Browser and re-open it, then those episodes are marked as “unwatched ” :(

So can you tell me if there will be a point release as mentioned by Sam, or if we'll have to wait for the next milestone in more than one month ?

Thanks for your answer.

(I'm using Mediabrowser 2.2.3.0 with theme Diamond 0.3.0.9, running under Windows Vista 32 bits)

I just upgraded on two machines and am experiencing the very same issue. I will let them run for awhile, since I have large Movie and TV Series collections. But, I find it strange that if I refresh an item that should not have the watched status indicator it will clear up and present properly until I exit that collection. Once I return back to that library collection the watched status indicator is back on the item. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Same issue here. After 2.2.3 installed, the watched indicator became meaningless – it is placed on all content, whether really watched or not.

• Modified:about 4 years ago

I'm sure this is my fault. I'll see about getting this fixed and maybe getting the fix out. Have to track it down first though as this unwatched thing is turning into a real bugger…

It would really help if I knew what theme everyone was using.

• As mentioned above, I'm only seeing it on Chocolate’s poster view. I did a quick scan of the other themes last night and they all seemed fine. – Riccardo about 4 years ago

If any of you guys have the ability to build a current version, please pull down trunk and try this out. I think I squashed it…

• That Fixed it for me, thanks. – neil18 about 4 years ago
  • I can repro this bug as well. When a bug report like this is marked as fixed, where can a CT reader find out more about the fix info, such as the [next] version which will contain the fix? – flynn almost 4 years ago
  • The “cronos” tag on the item tells you the version in which it is/will be fixed. – ebr almost 4 years ago

I'm using the default theme.

• Experiencing issue on Default theme as well. – blade005 about 4 years ago

Okay, since the impact of this appears to be fairly limited (only default and choc theme, I think). I'll just mark it fixed and see if we can wait for the next release – or have affected people build from trunk.

• No desire or ability to create a build. And I thought using the Default theme would keep me clear of these types of issues!! Oh well. Thanks for following up and letting us affected ones know that we aren’t crazy with what happened to our collections. – blade005 about 4 years ago

Default theme/2.2.3.0 and everything is marked as watched with a check mark. Changing to no check mark as unwatched applies until MB is closed and reopened. Then everything has a watched check mark again. Also ‘Highlight Unwatched Items’ needs to be bigger or bolder. Many poster arts only let a very small portion of the flashing star to be seen and you really have to look hard to identify it.