Please visit our new community...

Feature New Content Notification

6 supporters

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a notification handler (growl, prowl, notifo) to Media Browser.

Notifications could be used for any number of things. I would like to see notifications coming from both the MB service and outside sources.

Types of notifications I would like to see:

• New Meda (movies / tv)
  • Updated for plugins (currently EHS only)
  • Updated for MB(currently EHS only)
  • “Outside” notifications for third party plugins

alt text

votes newest oldest

• Created:11 months ago

Both web client (if in a supported browser) and Classic now support this!

• Created:about 2 years ago

Is this something that could be developed as a plugin and still overlay any theme?

• Not at this time.Changes would need to be made to MB core. – Redshirt about 2 years ago

• Created:over 2 years ago
  • Modified:over 2 years ago

Hey Chef, I got growl working great with your guide. Thank you so much. The only problem is that the popup appears while videos are playing. Is there any way to disable this? Or maybe make the popup smaller. It’s pretty huge :P

It would be awesome if there was a way to change the image it uses base on the show. e.g using local clear art for that show maybe. I guess this is where a MB dedicated plugin might need to take over.

I have added a support star for this.

• I am currently working on an edited ehres.dll that should change the popups in media center. It may take me a bit to perfect it, but it is on the go. I’ll keep you posted. I also have been trying to connect my blackberry to growl through an application called Blurts. I can get notification of calls on windows desktop but not in MCE yet. iPhones are easily connected to Growl already so this will be a feet if I can do it with blackberry. – chef over 2 years ago
  • Awesome. I currenly have SickBeard sending notifications to my WP7. Works great. – swhitmore over 2 years ago
  • Thanks for the support. BTW… I am starting work on a sickbeard TV plugin next week :D – Cjackson over 2 years ago
  • I’m actually really interested in one of the system notification app from growl and am currently trying to figure out how it works. It’s a bit complicated, but when I do figure it out, you be able to get notification s about pretty much anything in MCE. Perhaps some one would be interested in testing it as well. It the system notifies from the growl apps page. If you have a blackberry I would suggest downloading “Blurts” software to notify your pc of callers through bluetooth. We need to get growl to work with blurts. – chef over 2 years ago
  • I though I should also mention that if your tv shows save in .rar form, metabrowser can rename, so we need to add winrar to the system list below for it to work with all DL. :) – chef over 2 years ago

Fantastic. Thanks for the info. I think I tried this a long while ago and found it buggy and slightly unreliable.

I think think having something that is built in to MB would give us a much higher quality look and feel. I do however think the ability to send notification from outside of MB is a must.

Read these links first:

• Download Growl for Windows: Here

• Get Growl for Media Center Popups: Here

• Getting utorrent notifications for Growl: Here

• Get RSS Growl plug-in: Here

Install Growl.

Once you have read through the install read me for the Windows Media Center Plug-in,

Test that Growl is sending popups to MCE.

Set up the RSS plug-in to check your favorite TV site…(that’s what I’m gonna call those sites here…Get it??…“TV Sites”…Good).

Check Utorrent’s site page for RSS plug-ins that will monitor your TV site for new posts, and grab them automatically. They can be customized.

Enable the Web UI in Utorrent, allow Growls Utorrent Notifier plug-in access to your Web UI. Now when your show has finished saving you’ll get a popup in media center.

Use the Metabrowser2 to set up renaming and moving of files based on name. (There are many ways for Metabrowser to search the names of your new shows and it’ll sort them based on that criteria).

After the notification of the new show through Growl on the TV Site, the automatic download through Utorrent, the notification of the finished save through Growl, the automatic movement and renaming of files through Metabrowser, Media Browser will do the rest. All you have to do is check your recently added and there it is.

There are some bugs to work out still, but the Notifications all work, and there are a bunch of different plug ins that growl has to play with.

Good luck, I’ll try to answer any questions I can.

• Perfect thanks mate. I’ll give it a try this weekend. – swhitmore over 2 years ago
  • Worth noting that both Sickbeard and Couch Potato also support Growl notifications. – DGMayor over 2 years ago
  • Sickbeard looks cool. I didn’t know about that. Thanks for the heads up. – chef over 2 years ago
  • I <3 SB – swhitmore over 2 years ago

Any chance someone can please write a step-by-step guide for how to get growl and MB working (inc. torrent/usenet MCM/MB2 download notifications)

I now have a “new media notification” working on my machine with growl and the media center plug in for growl. After torrent gets something new, the web ui tells growl that it’s available to watch, then meta browser 0.9 moves the file into it’s respected season folder and Meta browser 2.0 re names it and downloads meta. It’s quite beautiful actually. Growl also monitors my favorite rss feeds and let’s me know when new shows are available to watch. Utorrent monitors the same rss feed and grabs it automatically. It’s the “Chef Network” television. Amazing. I should also say that the notification window that pops up could be edited graphically. That is my next mission. :)

• Screen shot and links pretty please. I will add it to the original post. – Cjackson over 2 years ago

To be clear ebr, are u saying this can be done now? This is just something the theme devs woukd have to add?

• No, ebr is referring to in internal messaging system, you see mostly when MB loads. The text at the screen bottom. There is no way for an external app to message through it without someone developing an MB plugin to handle external RSS or whatever. It’s appearance is very basic, which is why I favor an idea like the screenshot in the original post. – Redshirt over 2 years ago

I had a Similar request / idea not that long ago that seems to have slipped through the cracks.

Support Added.

I would love this. Sadly I have no wishes atm!

• No worries, just dont forget about me when you do! – Cjackson over 2 years ago

Having a notification system like this built into MB would be awesome. As long as it was as JSmith said, not when watching stuff. Allowing us plugin dev’s to provide info to the users would be a boon… As an example, I could use it in Trakt to let users know a friend request has been received, or calendar notifications to say a show is starting.

• This is possible with growl, I just figured out how to do it. if trakt has an rss feed for each user it’s totally possible to do. – chef over 2 years ago
  • how does the notification window look over top of MB. Is it clean and smooth? – Redshirt over 2 years ago
  • Actually the more I think about it, the better it would be to have an internal system, that doesn’t require any setup from the user. As long as MB’s installed, it just works. – Redshirt over 2 years ago
  • I would like to see this an internal app as well, but that would require ports to be open as part of the configuration of MB. – Cjackson over 2 years ago
  • growls notification window uses a regular style popup from the ehres.dll. although this could be modified, most people would not. I always thought the notification windows in Media Center were a little intrusive. “eg. Would you like to refresh all contents of the folder too”. – chef over 2 years ago
  • show 3 more comments

Would you be able to help me set up growl. I can’t seem to get the apps to show up in the growl config.

• are you still having issues with it? – Cjackson over 2 years ago
  • seems I got it working quite nicely, and it works over my home network as well. I can’t believe that I didn’t know about this brilliant program. My entire system is completely automated now and I get pop ups when the shows are available and when they have…(clears throat)…downloaded. – chef over 2 years ago
  • Are u using sickbeard? – Cjackson over 2 years ago

I think that it should be an option that would be disabled by default. I would want it on for tv but not movies. 3D SBS would be an issue as well, so I would need to be able to sense this and auto disable.

Nice idea but not when watching a movie or series :)